Friday 2 September 2016

My wallet's Night Out !



                     



Last Sunday was full of thrill, excitement, and passion as I was at the promotional event of my book. It was a scorching afternoon, and Pragati Maidan was full of enthusiastic readers, I  thought so!
Little did I know that along with bibliomaniacs there were kleptomaniacs and pickpockets as well.
After the thorough promotion of my book and shopping a couple of them for my daughters, I thought I had a splendid day. Merrily, I moved out of the venue, took the shuttle service organised by the authorities and joyously stepped into my car. On the way, I opened my handbag and skipped a heartbeat or two as I found out my wallet was missing. I freaked out and checked left,  right and centre. I called up every shop and counter I visited, even spoke to the Police on duty. I was guided to contact Tilak Nagar Thana to lodge a complaint. Promptly, I got a message, 'This is Delhi Police will get back to you shortly.' Nobody got back to me till now, though :) All the effervescence of the day evaporated, and I felt so much like a flat coca-cola without a fizz.
My mind tried to quickly calculate what all I had in my wallet, how much cash? What kind of documents and how many credit and debit cards? Poor at calculation in general and in such circumstances even most destitute! Some part of brain commanded, "Stop calculation and block your cards!" Luckily I got through my bank in the first go and blocked all of them in a shot.
I was a bit relieved but still couldn't get out of the shock that when and where someone sneaked out my wallet! Back home I hugged my daughters and tried to de-stress, counselling myself that I did some charity -  let the pickpocketer be happy. But deep in my heart, I was sad for I  had lost my favourite wallet as well. This promotion was indeed costly :( At ten in the night, I got a call from an unknown number saying, "Madam I found your wallet on the floor of my shop, I tried all the numbers on your cards and finally got yours!"  I couldn't believe my ears, I fumbled, asking, "Is there something inside my wallet?"
Bang came to the answer, "Yes Ma'am it has all kind of cards, some medicines, and a  hundred-rupee note!" Wahoo! How generous is this pickpocketer? He left at least 'Kiraya-Bharra' for me! Then who was the gentleman who is trying to be so kind I enquired!
"I am a vendor, I found your wallet on the floor, I will keep your wallet safely with me tonight, you can collect in the morning from my stall," he replied. Now, who he was? None my concern! Little did he know my wallet was more expensive than all the cash put together in it, and I would be more than happy to have it back!
Next morning I got my wallet back, safe and sound! Thanks, dear for taking my wallet for a night out, and returning back safely! You are more sensitive, compassionate and prompt than Delhi police!














No comments:

Post a Comment