Thursday 25 February 2016

SCHOOLING ....NOW AND THEN !!!

In the past two decades, our country is struggling to emerge as a developed nation. I can't comment on all issues,  but as far as schooling is concerned  India can proudly boast of having one of the finest schools in the world.

Yesterday was the sports day of my five years old tricky daughter,  who is somewhat prankish and modestly frank at home; but to our amazement, we witnessed her as a most obedient child there. For sure it was a magic wand of the school.
It has been almost twenty-six years since I passed my school. Fond memories of school always remain with us but if I go in the series of flashback, our sports day reminded me of everyday white uniform with white Bata canvas shoes (extra finished with CHALK to look sparkling white).

 PT time and then; Kabaddi, Kho-Kho, Badminton, TT  and at the end of the sports day two ladoos!  I was never into any kind of sports, so for me, sports day didn't mean a lot, (though now I realise how important it is ) nor our schools propelled us for the same.

 I can't blame my school, at the modest amount of Rupees 15 per quarter it gave me a lot ( yes believe it or not this was our fee at  Kendriya Vidyalaya ). It gave me worth that now I can afford Rupees X per quarter for my daughters. But money is not the point here. I am talking about the paradigm shift in the education system. When three to five years of tender kids ( of different nationalities ) showcased their skills and knowledge of global sports, in amalgamation with their academic skills on the playground, we parents were wonderstruck.  The whole ambience was so vibrant and inviting that we also wanted to be kids again!

But still melancholy prevails with a thought that how many children are privileged to get this kind of education?  Still, the majority of my country's children go to Anganwadi, State schools, and Kendriya Vidyalaya.


Nothing much has changed there. Now also tender hands are forced to write a,b,c or 1,2,3 without being given any exposure towards sensitivity to mankind, environment, and moral values.

 No wonder we hear stories about intolerance, revolution, and suicides at the college level!  Today only  I listened to the fiery yet emotional speech by Madam Smriti Irani .....poor thing was herself so baffled, hurt and deluded. She showed determination to bring some change . Madam, please visit over primary schools. If at all anything can be changed it can be modified there. Rest all of us have passed the school! 






No comments:

Post a Comment