Wednesday 26 August 2015

CARAMELISED ONIONS








From my mom and mom in law, I have learned many quick-fix recipes to use curd or Besan to make yummy gravies. The problem is not in replacing ingredients but in the price of ingredients. If I  use curd its 55 rupees, a litre and besan are even more!

Skyrocketing prices of grocery are pinching everyone. I don't know the microeconomics of onion price rise but all I see around me, our farmers are either selling their piece of land or are dying under debts.

Eight years ago when I moved to Gurgaon, this area was surrounded by paddy fields, and the golden wheat crop was all around my daughter's school. Today when I look out of my window all the plants have been replaced by the concrete jungle. Forget about onion to eat we don't even get fresh air to breathe. So where will onions grow at least not in the sky ???

When we were young papa use to tell us "Pyaaz aur Roti " is a poor man's delicacy.  Whose delicacy is it now?   Authorities have to think!

So spice of the day is caramelised onion with lots of tears :)


No comments:

Post a Comment